History Project Logo

6 Masonic Pl

6 Masonic Pl
Historic District Survey information for 6 Masonic Pl
Architectural Description: The Atlantic House is a 2-story, 3-bay sidehall building at south end and a 3-story, 5-bay hotel at the north end, connected by a 1-story hyphen. The 2-story, 3-bay southern section houses the Atlantic House Bar. It is clad in clapboard on the front (east) and north, wood shingle on the side facades. The front-gable roof has partial returns; shed dormer on north slope; brick chimney at ridge; exterior brick chimney on front. The main entry consists of a modern door with pedimented hood supported by knee braces. Fenestration includes 6/6 wood DHS with louver shutters on the 1st floor; large multi-pane stained glass window across the 2nd story. An exterior stair leads to a 2nd story entry on the south side. A 1-story side gable hyphen connects this to the Atlantic House Hotel to north . The hyphen has a central plank door entry with porthole window, pedimented hood and pendanted end brackets. Fenestration consists of paired 6-pane casements. The Atlantic House Hotel portion has a fully pedimented gable end and large shed dormers. The main entry consists of a central plank door with porthole windows and porthole sidelights. An open porch extends across the facade with brackets, turned posts and balustrade; wood deck. Fenestration includes 2/1 wood DHS with louvered operable shutters (1st story); 2/1 DHS in gable end, and 6/6 with pointed arched above. 6/1, 6/6 DHS also present. An exterior stair to leads to a 2nd story entry on the north side. A 2nd-story deck is located on the rear facade.
Historical Narrative: As per Josephine Del Deo (1977): The Atlantic House bar was built in 1798 at 4 Masonic Place. The hotel section was built later in 1812, making it the second oldest hotel in town. Originally called the Union Hotel, it served as a courthouse in the early days. A circuit judge visited on a regular basis. People were tried here for crimes and misdemeanors such as spitting on the plank walk, drinking or swearing on the Sabbath and talking back to the minister or other important citizens. The Atlantic House also served as the last stop for Lysander Payne's Provincetown to Orleans coach line, which made a u-turn at the hotel and then proceeded up the hill where the steps are now, and heading back to Orleans. A menu dated 1829 is on the wall in the men's' room of the main lounge, 1st floor. Rooms have been in continual use upstairs since the hotel's construction. In 1888 the building was sold for $25, and three months later for $75.The Atlantic House is today a successful bar and night club in addition to its status as an Inn. It has had a unique place in recent times as the meeting place of famous and less famous artists who have congregate at this night spot to hear such famous night club entertainers as Nina Simone, Jerry Mulligan and Gene Kruppa. The height of this period of entertainment during the 50's and early 60's made it the most desirable location for night clubbing in town. Its present owner, Reginald Cabral, has been an art collector for more than twenty years, and, at one time, numerous valuable canvases decorated its walls. The Atlantic House is a truly individual inn today as it has been in the past. Its unique history and various community aspects make it eligible for Historic nomination, especially since its exterior condition is almost totally intact. Plaque (blue) on building: "Atlantic House bar opened 1798, hotel built 1812. Originally called Union House. Served as courthouse with visiting circuit judge hearing all cases. Also used for town meetings. Was the last stop on a stagecoach route from Orleans to Provincetown." Bronze plaque on building says Eugene O'Neill wrote the follow plays here in 1917 - "Ile," "The Moon of the Caribbees", "The Long Voyage Home," "In the Zone."
Bibliography and/or References: "Walking Tour No. 1, The Center of Provincetwon", Provincetown Historical Association 12. Folk Art Museum. Resident Directory. W.F. Richardson & Co., 1886
Dwellings, Historic Districts--Massachusetts--Provincetown, and Masonic Place (Provincetown, Mass.)
Download (Mass. Historical Commission Form B)

Comments (0)

NOTICE: It appears you do not have Javascript enabled in your Web browser. To access some of the features on the site (including email links) you must enable Javascript and refresh the page.